Thursday, November 19, 2009

Going B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

So...Alegria's favorite fruit was the banana. That was mostly what I gave her during her baby fruit jar phase. At one point, though, she refused to eat bananas anymore. I don't know if it was because she wasn't used to the real fruit and when I'd try to give it to her, it was unfamiliar, or because I had fed the jarred variety to her so much that she was tired of them, but for a while, she didn't eat any bananas, jarred or real.

Luckily, one day Daddy discovered that if he scraped a banana with a spoon and fed that to Alegria, she loved it! So that's what I began doing, too.

Well, a couple of days ago, she asked for a banana, so I grabbed one and a spoon, sat her in her high chair, sat down in my chair, but when I began to scrape it for her, she threw a tantrum!



I tried to feed her a banana again later on that day, but the same thing happened, so the rest of the day and yesterday, I tried as hard as I could to keep her from seeing the bananas in the fruit bowl on the counter so that she wouldn't want one and have the same thing happen all over again. I wasn't sure what to do about her wanting a banana but getting so upset when I tried to feed her one.

Well, this morning, the first thing she saw and the first thing she asked for when we went to the kitchen were the bananas and of course, she asked for one.

So I got a banana and a spoon and prepared for the inevitable...

Alegria saw the spoon I had and wanted it, so I gave it to her, thinking that maybe she was upset about the spoon that I was holding the other day and not about the banana. Then she wanted the banana. Hmmm. I thought, "Is she really going to try to scrape the banana herself? Is that what the problem was the other day? Was she just mad that I was doing it and not she? Is she getting to be even more independent?"

As much as I was dreading the banana mess (when Jace would come over, he'd sometimes have a banana that his mom would pack for him and it was SOOO messy, I dreaded it!), I decided to hand it over to her. Much to my surprise, Alegria ate the banana like a pro!






And she didn't get that messy, either!!! :)

When I thought she was done eating the banana, I took it away to see if she would sign "banana" for me again (I think it's such a fun sign and the way she signs it is so cute!). She has a spoon in her hands, so it's hard to tell, but she does the sign pretty well when there isn't a spoon in her hand (the sign is one finger from one hand pointed up like a banana and the fingers in the other hand motioning like they're "peeling" the "banana"):



Needless to say, I'm extremely happy that Alegria loves bananas again!!! :)

On another note, I was supposed to go to a Primary presidency meeting this morning where we would be putting our Sacrament Quiet Books together for the children, but because Alegria's been sick, I let them know that I was going to stay home so that Alegria wouldn't spread her germs. She is still coughing a little and her nose is still runny, though it's getting better, but because at the meeting we would be busy and I wouldn't be able to make sure every second that she and the other kids wouldn't be sharing sippy cups and germs from playing with the same toys, I opted to not go.

Later on, when Daddy came home, he was playing with Alegria and she was laughing a lot. I only caught the tail-end of the game they were playing...I wish I had caught her in full giggles!



And that was our day.

Now Alegria's in bed, so I have to go out and buy some milk since we ran out today and then Cameron and I are going to watch some "Scrubs" episodes!

Have a wonderful night!!! :)

P.S. Can you believe that Alegria is 15 months old today?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting...come back soon for updates!