Thursday, October 22, 2009

Swim Team Birthday Cake

Abilehi ranted and raved to her assistant at work about the cakes I've made, so her assistant has now ordered three cakes, one each week for the next three weeks.

Because I use fresh cakes (no freezing for me when I sell!), it was a long night last night. I baked the cakes yesterday while Alegria and Jace were napping. Then I began decorating the cake yesterday after Alegria went to bed. I myself didn't get to bed until 2 am this morning and then I added the finishing touches while Alegria and Jace napped this afternoon.

Here is the finished product:






I used Airheads for the starting blocks and pool corners, Pull-Apart Twizzlers for the dividers, Orbit Gum for the pool tiles, and Jello (Jigglers recipe) for the water. I haven't made cakes (to sell) in so long! I was a little nervous, especially about the Jello for the water since when I made Alegria's bathtub birthday cake, I had a little mishap with the Jello and, though I'd been able to fix it then, this time I was going to sell the cake, so this time I couldn't mess it up!

Well, when Melissa picked the cake up, she was impressed, especially with how I made it "look like real water!" Not long after she left, she texted me to say that her daughter loved the cake, too. :) The late night was worth it! :)

My next cake is for next Thursday and I'm going to attempt fondant, so wish me luck!!!

Other than that, it was a normal day. Jace came over, and he, Alegria and I played and danced and read books.

Usually on Thursdays Cameron comes home early, but he had a busy day at work and didn't get home til late. I was supposed to go to a Sabre Squadron Coffee at 6:30 (it's called a coffee, but we don't actually have coffee...it's just the name that has stuck for whatever activity the soldiers' spouses do together monthly), but because Cameron hadn't seen us all day AND I'd been gone Tuesday night for my training meeting, he asked if I could please cancel and stay home. I was happy to comply, not only because I was also anxious to see him, but also because I was getting a major headache from the late night last night. :)

Now Alegria's in bed and I think Cameron and I will turn in early, too.

Have a great night!!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow!!! That cake is amazing!! I love it! I am so glad it turned out so well for you. It looks like you are all doing well. I love the halloween look!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting...come back soon for updates!